The Art of Persuasive Speech & Debate - 10 Weeks
- Save 10% Buy one 10-week class and get another 10-week class 10% off! Promotion automatically applied at checkout.
About this Class
Whenever you are trying to make your voice heard, debate skills are essential for your success! Learning the skills associated with persuasive speech and debate can allow you to speak to anyone with confidence and clarity. In this class, students will work through various situations and practice debates to build these skills in an environment guided by our Ivy Camps USA Program Leads.
All Ivy Camps USA classes have a final project that students work towards throughout their time in their class. In this class, students will be working towards a class-wide debate that will be held on day 10 of this program.
Students will Learn
- How to build confidence in speaking to people of all backgrounds
- Skills to build relationships through conversation
- Techniques to navigate a conversation when disagreeing with someone
- How to develop cultural and subcultural awareness when speaking
- The structure of a debate
- Efficient strategies for conducting research
- Techniques to construct strong arguments
- Methods for taking on another point of view
- How to identify methods to develop counter-points
- How to build their skills in areas such as communication, public speaking, confidence, creativity, and research
Class Logistics & Materials
- All classes are held live and online, starting at the time chosen
- Classes run 1x per week for 10 weeks
- Classes will be held on the same day every week
- Each class meeting will be 90 minutes (1.5 hours)
- Classes will have 1-6 students per class
- Students will be separated into groups by age
- The curriculum for each course is written to meet the developmental needs of each age group
- Classes are taught by our top instructors from Harvard, Yale, MIT, Princeton, & more!
Class Materials: pencil, pen, highlighter, extra paper, printed welcome packet, coloring materials